Straight talk on Costs
We are a fee-only advisor.
Why should that be important to you?
Here’s an explanation of the different ways advisors charge for their services.
The value of good advice
Do you know the total cost you pay for financial advice?
Our clients know the exact cost, with no commissions, no kickbacks, no surprises.
When done right, our cost is a small fraction of the value we offer:
- By helping you make better decisions, make them earlier, and avoid costly errors.
- By seeking a long-term investment return that exceeds other comparable options.
- By seeking a lower lifetime tax burden, and the benefit of tax-efficient wealth transfer and charitable giving.
- By helping to provide peace of mind while saving you time and energy.
Studies by Vanguard estimate the value of good advice at far more than its cost.
Researchers at Dartmouth College found that those who have taken the time to do some planning, even a little bit, ended up with two- to three-times more financial wealth.
As a Fee-Only fiduciary our cost is fully transparent.
Although we offer hourly advice, and advice on specific projects, most clients retain us for ongoing advice. These clients are charged a fixed percentage of the portfolio, usually around 1% per year (usually ranging from 0.40% to 1.75% per year). Done right, our services should pay for themselves many times over.
Our costs are negotiable, depending upon the level and scope of the service required and the professional services requested.
Prior to engaging us, we provide full disclosure of your cost. Our total cost is then reviewed and summarized multiple times each year.
We even track our cost over time as your total lifetime advisory cost.
For more information about advisory costs, please click here to read our White Paper: Advisory Costs.
Not ready for a dedicated, fiduciary financial planner and investment advisor?
Consider these non-broker, commission-free alternatives (unaffiliated with Open Window).
Note that the costs listed are general estimates and may be out of date. Last updated June 2019.
Fees: 0.25% to 0.65%
- Choose and manage investments at low cost and with a low minimum balance
- Limited guidance with other accounts and limited access to a human when you have questions on investing
- Good for those starting out or when your situation is simple
Fees: 0.35% to 0.89%
- Provide technology-assisted, mass-produced investment guidance
- Can offer limited-fiduciary advice on topics beyond investing, sometimes from a CFP® professional
- Good when you have some wealth built or want more interaction
- Face-to-face portfolio management and customized advice on topics beyond investing
- Ideally, act as unlimited fiduciaries, are CFP® professionals, and represent CEFEX-certified firms
- Good for those with more-complex situations and/or established wealth
(Reno Nevada) XY Planning Network
(All 50 US States & International)